Ace the 2023 Ramsay Maintenance (MAT, MecTest and Multicraft) Tests
Complete Ramsay Prep Pack
- Sample Questions
What Are the Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Tests?
The Ramsay Corporation is an HR Consultancy firm founded in 1973. It focuses on assisting businesses with their pre-employment hiring procedures, by offering aptitude tests that can be used by employers during their recruitment process.
Ramsay mechanical tests are used when hiring maintenance workers, mechanics, and apprentices. Ramsay mechanical tests are a variety of tests typically used for pre-employment screening purposes.
The most common Ramsay mechanical tests are the:
Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test (MAT)
The Ramsay MAT was created in 2004. The current version is called the Ramsay MAT-4. The Ramsay MAT-4 uses mechanical and physical principles in order to measure the applicant’s problem-solving abilities. It is designed to test an applicant’s capacity to learn the skills needed for an industrial, mechanical, or maintenance position.
No previous knowledge of the job position is required in order to complete the mechanical reasoning test, however, candidates will need a good understanding of physics and mechanics. Thus, the Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test is not a knowledge-based exam, rather it is an exam that shows the potential that an applicant has for a particular job role.
Thus, the Ramsay MAT is typically used when hiring for entry-level jobs, such as millwrights, machine operators, and apprentices.
Ramsay MecTest & Ramsay MultiCrafTest
Ramsay’s MecTest and MultiCrafTest, often referred to as Ramsay maintenance tests, are very popular Ramsay Corporation mechanical knowledge and skill tests. They measure knowledge on a very general series of subjects in mechanics and electricity. Each features 60 questions and needs to be completed in 1 hour.
The Ramsay Tests: Format and Structure
Ramsay MAT Content and Structure
The Ramsay MAT test is relatively short in comparison to other mechanical aptitude tests. It features 36 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 20 minutes.
There are four key topics featured on the MAT:
- Household objects
- Production and maintenance
- Hand and power tools
- Science and physics
Ramsay MecTest and MultiCrafTest Content and Structure
The MultiCrafTest and the MecTest both feature 60 questions. The exams don’t come with a time limit. However, you should complete them in around 1 hour.
Ramsay MecTest: Content and Questions
- Hydraulics and Pneumatics – 15 questions
- Print Reading – 4 questions
- Welding and Rigging – 7 questions
- Power Transmission – 5 questions
- Lubrication – 4 questions
- Pumps and Piping – 7 questions
- Mechanical Maintenance – 10 questions
- Shop Machines – Tools and Equipment – 8 questions
Ramsay MultiCrafTest: Content and Questions
- Hydraulics and Pneumatics – 7 questions
- Welding and Rigging – 7 questions
- Power Transmission, Lubrication, Mechanical Maintenance, and Shop Machines, Tools and Equipment – 12 questions
- Pumps, Piping, and Combustion – 9 questions
- Motors, Control Circuits, Schematics, and Print Reading – 9 questions
- Digital Electronics, Power Supplies, Computers, PLC and Test Instruments – 8 questions
- Basic AC and DC Theory, Power Distribution and Electrical Maintenance – 8 questions
Ramsay Test Sample Questions with Explanations
- 1:35.04 mm
- 2:35.20 mm
- 3:35.43 mm
- 4:22.2 mm
The long ruler shows the millimeters. The zero point of the short ruler starts after 35 mm; this is the value of millimeters in the measurement.
The short ruler is divided into 20 units; this means that each of them shows 1/20 of mm = 0.05 mm.
The best alignment between the lines in the two rulers is obtained at the fourth unit of the short ruler; i.e. at 0.05 × 4 = 0.20 mm after the unit. Hence, the measurement X shows
X=35 mm+4×0.05 mm=35 mm+0.20 mm=35.20 mm
The answer is therefore B.
- 1:600 Ω
- 2:0.015 Ω
- 3:1.5 Ω
- 4:15 Ω
From the figure, we can see the potential difference V = 3V. Also, I = 200 mA = 0.200 A.
From Ohm’s Law, we have
The answer is therefore D
- 1:There is a bipolar NPN transistor in the circuit
- 2:There are four ground chassis in the circuit
- 3:There are two unbalanced terminals in the circuit
- 4:R2 and R3 are not connected to each other
The first statement is TRUE. The transistor Q1 is of a bipolar NPN type.
The second statement is TRUE. There are four ground chassis in the circuit: one is below the input, another is below R2, the third one is below R1 and the fourth one is below output.
The third statement is TRUE. There are two unbalanced terminals (input and output) in the circuit. This is obvious from the non-parallel alignment of terminals.
The fourth statement is FALSE. R2 and R3 are connected to each other, as there are black dots in the junction points to the horizontal wire that connects the capacitor C2 and the transistor Q1.
Therefore, the answer is D.
Ramsay Maintenance Technician Course
- 6Newton Laws
- 7Electric Power
- 8Series & Parallel Circuits
- 9Electrical Circuits
- 10Gas Pressure
- 11Circular Motion
- 13BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 14Tools, Materials, and Equipment
- 15Electrical Theory and Control CircuitsBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 16Electronics and PLC
- 17Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- 18Test Instruments
- 19Power Transmission and Preventive MaintenanceBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 20Print Reading
- 21Maintenance Technician Test Final Quizzes
How Best To Prepare For A Ramsay Mechanical Tests
The Ramsay test is distinct from other mechanical aptitude tests as the questions are often unclear and can easily be confusing. The Ramsay mechanical skills and aptitude assessment demands a lot of background knowledge. You will need to make sure you brush up on your skills and go into the exam prepared. You must know how to answer the questions logically and methodically, as you won’t be able to rely on instinct alone.
QQuincey JInformative for the subjectHelpful to understand the right answers
OOliver W.Did well on the testI was a tragedy on the practice test, but after I took the course I improved my result significantly and actually managed to pass the real test!
mmarioemondreal good stuffMakes it real!
CCarol W.Thank God I got that course!This course improved my results by around 30% and I passed! Totally worth the money!
TTim W.Do the practice test andDo the practice test and get you speed up to answer every questions! The three test are great. Videos offered quick thinking insight, so be sure to learn the tricks to make the best score possible.
SSoenke S.Very good courses, without themVery good courses, without them and train I would not so good succeed the real one.
SSmithGreat courseVery helpful, especially with simplifying the questions to get quick answers.
sswiremaninterestinginfo very helpful